Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are moist, delicious and perfectly spiced! A delicious fall breakfast made with canned pumpkin, pumpkin spice and a cream cheese swirl topping.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
These Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Muffins are always such a hit on my blog, I knew I would love this cream cheese swirl version! They take less than 30 minutes to bake and the best part, these pumpkin muffins are under 200 calories! SO much lighter than any bakery or Starbucks muffins. Most pumpkin recipes use at least 1/2 cup butter or oil but these only use 2 tablespoons for the whole batch. Thanks to the canned pumpkin, they are so moist without adding a ton of butter or oil.
These pumpkin muffins taste and smell like fall! And now that the weather’s getting cooler, these are perfect for baking on a lazy Sunday morning. And if you’re not aware, I have a TON of pumpkin recipes! If you’re a sucker for pumpkin, you’ll love all these other pumpkin recipes in my collection!
Pumpkin Muffin Notes
- You can make this into a quick bread, simply pour it into a loaf pan and increase the cook time. To test for readiness, insert a toothpick in the center, when it comes out clean they are cooked.
How To Store Pumpkin Cream Cheese Swirl Muffins
- It’s best to refrigerate the muffins you don’t eat because of the cream cheese swirl. You can freeze them, but I personally think they taste better fresh or refrigerated.
- Freeze the leftovers in resealable plastic bags and label the name and date, freeze for up to 3 months. Let them thaw to room temperature before eating.
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook Time: 25 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins are moist, delicious and perfectly spiced! A delicious fall breakfast treat made with canned pumpkin, pumpkin spice and a cream cheese swirl topping.
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour, King Arthur
- 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour, King Arthur
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- baking spray
CREAM CHEESE TOPPING (makes 3/4 cup)
- 5 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and lightly spray liners with oil for easy removal.
In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking soda, pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.
In a large bowl mix pumpkin puree, oil, egg and vanilla; beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
Add flour mixture to the wet mixture, then blend at low speed until combined; do not over mix.
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Slowly beat in the sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract until combined.
Pour batter into prepared muffin tin. Drop about 1 tablespoon of the cream cheeseto the tops of each muffin. Using a toothpick gently swirl the frosting from the edge to the center into the batter.
Bake on the center rack for 24 to 26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Let them cool before serving.
Serving: 1muffin, Calories: 170kcal, Carbohydrates: 25g, Protein: 3.5g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 4g, Cholesterol: 34mg, Sodium: 160mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 16g
Freestyle Points: 7
Keywords: Breakfast, pumpkin cream cheese muffins, pumpkin muffins